As an existing Halifax credit card customer you can benefit from balance transfer offers, which could help you save money and manage your finances.
What is a balance transfer?
- A balance transfer lets you transfer the balance from one credit card or store card, where you may be paying interest, to another credit card.
- Balances transferred to your Halifax credit card could benefit from a promotional interest rate for a set period. A transfer fee may apply.
- You can transfer from any card that displays a Visa, Mastercard or Amex logo.
Am I eligible?
You can check your eligibility through Online Banking. If eligible, you will be able to view the offers available to you. Offers may not always be available on your account.
We do not accept balance transfers from other Halifax credit cards, loan companies or bank accounts. Balance Transfer applications are subject to eligibility and security checks but these will not leave a footprint on your credit file.
How much can I transfer?
Balance transfers must be a minimum of 100 and the total amount you ll be able to transfer will need to be less than your available credit limit.
This is to allow for any balance transfer fee and any other fees, charges or transactions which haven t yet reached your account.
How long will the transfer take?
After we approve the request, the transfer will normally arrive by the next working day. Working days do not include weekends or bank holidays.
Please continue to make payments to any other credit or store cards you have until the transfer shows on your statements.
Important points to note:
- Keeping promotional rates – To stay eligible for any promotional rates that go with your balance transfer, you must always stay within your credit limit, and make your payments on time each month.
- Payment allocation – Any payments you make will be used to pay off amounts on which we charge the highest rate of interest first, then the next highest rate, and so on down to the lowest rate of interest.
- Other borrowing options – Before you apply for a balance transfer it’s worth considering other ways to borrow, as well as any savings you may have, as these could be better options for you. Read more about other ways to borrow.
How do I transfer a balance?
If you’re registered for Online Banking, you can view your balance transfer offer and process the transfer online.
From ‘My accounts’ select the ‘Balance transfer’ button next to your credit card account and follow the instructions on the screen to view your offers and undertake the transfer.